When I spotted heart shaped bacon on Pinterest I knew I would be getting my bacon on!! The concept seemed simple enough. Take a slice of your favorite bacon and cut it in two and shape it like a heart.
I kicked the whole concept up a notch with a tasty maple-dijon glaze that sends these heart shaped bacon cuties over the top! The sweet maple and spicy dijon pair perfectly with the salty bacon. ((My mouth is watering right now writing this!!))
Be warned -- the bacon shrinks quite a bit while baking and doesn't stick together all that well. You could try to pin it together during the baking process with a tooth pick (something I didn't try) but all in all I think whoever you make these for will get the heart shaped picture!
WITH MAPLE & DIJON GLAZE
Makes: 6 bacon hearts
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Cut bacon slices in half. Arrange slices into heart shapes onto a baking rack on a cookie sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until bacon begins to turn brown.
- In a small bowl, combine maple syrup and dijon and set aside.
- Remove pan from oven carefully (the pan will have some hot bacon grease in it) and brush bacon hearts with glaze. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 5 to 7 minutes until bacon is crisp.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate to slightly cool. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!!