I am always shocked when I see so-called "romantic" Valentine's Day recipes that are chalked full of heavy creams, dense sweets and huge portions. I don't know about you but when I am stuffed the LAST thing I feel is romantic (or sexy for that matter!) So I decided to keep my Valentine's Day recipe simple, light and delicious.
I love zucchini. I love how you can eat it raw or baked or grated or fried. It is one of the ultimate versatile veggies AND it works perfectly in this tart. Store-bought puff pastry brings a buttery airiness to this dish without all of the hard work. AND last but not least, herbed-lemony ricotta bring a nice creaminess that sends this recipe over the top. It looks fancy. It tastes fabulous. What more do you need from a romantic meal? Pair it with some roasted chicken or a simple grilled steak and you will be set!
WITH HERBED LEMON RICOTTA
Adapted from Forty Chestnuts
- 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced using a mandolin or knife
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed in the refrigerator
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- juice from half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta, herbs, lemon zest and juice. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- On a floured surface roll out puff pastry sheet into 10 by 9 inch rectangle. Using a fork score the pastry every 1/2 inches to avoid bubbles in the pastry while baking. Spread ricotta mixture onto the pastry using a spatula, making sure to leave a half inch border.
- Arrange zucchini slices on top of the ricotta. (I arranged mine in a lattice pattern but you could also just layer the slices slightly overlapping them.) Brush zucchini slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 14-15 minutes until puff pastry is golden around the edges.
- Allow tart to cool in the pan for about five minutes and then carefully transfer to a cutting board or serving platter. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!